Giacomo's Farmers Market
The Old Market House Inn Restaurant, situated across the street from the site of Zanesville's original farmers' market, preserves an era of pioneer Zanesville while offering a gourmet menu in an atmosphere of the bygone days.
Farmers drove their wagons filled with produce to the first small, one-story market built in 1814. The second market, built in 1832, supplied an increasing population with meat and vegetables. In 1863 a heavy snow crushed the roof, causing a tragic collapse of the bustling marketplace.
The third farmers' market opened in 1864. In consisted of a first floor for market and a second floor for city offices. Hundreds of farm wagons would be hitched to trees and posts for several blocks in all directions three days a week. Cabs and drays clattered up Market Street from two railroad stations. Hotels with large dining rooms eventually opened their doors to accommodate the increasing commerce in Zanesville. On such hotel and the Barnett which stood on the site of the present-day Old Market House Inn.
The third market place was destroyed by fire in 1912. After a long controversy, the present building was completed in 1919 and served Zanesville for nearly thirty years. After World War II, area residents began to patronize supermarkets and in 1946 the final farmers' market was closed and the entire building converted to city offices.
In 1974 James L. Adornetto Purchased this building, then known as the Casino Restaurant, from Tony Saup. Mr. Adornetto engaged Coburn Morgan, a renowned restaurant designer from Columbus, Ohio. Using London, England's oldest operating riverside pub, the prospect of Whitby, as a model, they orchestrated an extensive nine-month renovation of the historic building. In October of 1974 the present Old Market House Inn opened its doors.
Jim Adornetto, born and raised in Zanesville, has been a successful restaurateur in the city for over 50 years. He opened his first restaurant, Adornetto's Pizzeria, at the age of 19. In 1994, Mr. Adornetto opened Giacomo's Bread & Deli in the building north of Adornetto's Pizzeria, featuring European hearth-style breads and Italian deli with made to order sandwiches and soups.
Giacomo's Farmers Market is not affiliated with AmericanTowns Media