The founder of the Leesport Market and Auction, as it was then called, was LeRoy J. Weist, who married Mary B. Graeff in 1922. Together they had nine children and the family lived and worked on a farm outside of Mohrsville, PA. Mr. Weist was a plasterer and farmer by trade and he also bought and sold livestock from many of the farmers in the area and then sold them to a slaughter house in Bernville. In 1946 Leroy and Mary purchased 30 acres of farmland at the north end of Leesport from Gertrude and Lawrence Hoffman. They bought the land with the thought of possibly building homes but about this same time the slaughter house in Bernville stopped taking livestock. They saw the need for a place to sell livestock and as a result the auction was built. With the help of their family they built a cattle barn and one market building consisting of 4,000 square feet. 97 head of cattle were consigned by 25 sellers on opening day, July 9, 1947.
Family has always played an important part in the market. When the market was being built, the sons and in-laws provided the labor to construct the first buildings. In the early years of the market many of the daughters were the clerks in the office and the sale ring. Sons and in-laws provided barn help and also collected rent from the stand holders. Many of the food and soda stands were owned and run by daughters and sons.
Season: Year Round
Wednesdays, 8am - 7pm
Winter: 8am - 5pm
April 16 - December 3, 2023
1st Sundays, 7am - 1pm
Location: 312 Gernant's Church Road